Auto Accident – What to do

What to do about an old accident

If it’s been a while since you were injured, but you have only just decided you want an attorney’s help with your recovery, here are the steps you should take.

1) Hire an attorney

Ideally, you should hire an attorney who has experience handling personal injury cases, preferably one experienced in the type of accident you were involved in. Above all, however, you should hire an attorney you trust and feel comfortable with.

Ask each lawyer you meet with how he or she plans to handle the case, and what challenges you might face with meeting deadlines if it has been a while since your accident. Be sure you understand how, and how much, they will charge for their services.

2) Gather your records


Depending on the nature of your accident or incident, the records you’ll need might include:

  • police report
  • the names of all hospitals, doctors, clinics, or other practitioners (such as a chiropractor or physical therapist) where you’ve received treatment, and the dates you were treated
  • medical bills
  • dates you missed work due to the accident
  • insurance policies related to the accident (e.g., health, auto, homeowner’s, umbrella policies)
  • correspondence with insurance companies (both your insurers, and the other party’s)
  • correspondence with the other party
  • witness statements
  • receipts for repairs, or anything you had to buy related to the accident

Your attorney can help you put together a list of the specific documents you will need based on the details of your case.


3) Continue treatment


When you’ve been injured in an accident, the most important priority is your healing process. Continue with any treatment you’re receiving, and follow up with your doctor on any recommendations for additional treatment as you progress on your path to recovery. If you are concerned about being able to pay for treatment, talk with your attorney about your options. [Link to treatment lien article]

Contact us for a free consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney.

2017-09-25T20:39:20+00:00 November 19th, 2016|

About the Author:

Mathew Auric
Mathew Auric is an attorney licensed to practice law in California.